Guided by God's vision and the principles of the Nguzo Saba? What happened to the Word of God - the Bible? I emailed this church before I decided to write this commentary. I gave them my website to examine Kwanzaa more closely. Sadly, I've had no response to my email to them dated 11/27 of this year.
My complaint all along about Kwanzaa is how people are using it as "self-esteem" builders, or as a way of life. If this was just a cultural celebration, then there would be no talk of principles, but talk of history, of past acts of honorable ancestors, appreciation of where we are from and where we are going. But no, Kwanzaa has not only become a way of life for people, now the church has jumped on the bandwagon, not wanting to be left out. This church is just an example of many. many churches that are using Kwanzaa in their services and like this church, for their ministries.
This church says that the, "Foundation of our purpose and vision - Focused on Jesus Christ." Is the focus truly on Jesus Christ? That is the question that not only needs to be posed to this church but to any church that attempts to mix culture and religion both as a way of life.
Another problem I have is the emphasis on African-American culture in the church. Is there a wonder why many churches are so segragrated? The emphasis of Kwanzaa for African-American unity was probably what has drawn this church to it because of their own desire to emphasize the black culture.
I don't see a problem with a predominantly black church or predominantly any ethnic church, as long as the message preached and taught is for all -- the way that God intended it to be! Emphasis needs to be on God's word as taught in the bible, and unity not just for one group, but for everyone!
Kwanzaa is black separatist and so is this church. No matter how much Jesus is talked about, if one trusts in their culture "plus" Jesus, then is God truly the object of their faith?
cm