12/27/2006

Commentary on Kwanzaa

I am dissecting the Nguzo Saba, one day at a time as it’s being celebrated by Kwanzaa enthusiasts world-wide. How do I know it’s being celebrated all over the world? I was interviewed yesterday by a reporter from a Canadian newspaper after spotting my website entry from Kwanzaa’s section in Wikepidia (which I've learned has been since removed because you can't make self entries) and my daughter spending a year abroad for her collegiate studies in French, called me from Paris to tell me about French blacks asking her if she was going to celebrate Kwanzaa. Just a couple of examples but enough to convince me that it is indeed recognized around the world.

Again, I am of the belief that Kwanzaa is a holiday that shouldn’t be touched, especially by those who call themselves Christians. Why? The holiday’s roots are anti-American, anti-Christian, racist towards whites and Jewish people. On my website (www.christocentric.com/Kwanzaa), I use Karenga’s own writings to show his true intentions of creating Kwanzaa. He admits in his first book on Kwanzaa that he created it as a substitute to not only our Christmas holiday, but the Christian religion, or any religion where one prayed to what he called “spooks!”

Of course, all that divisive speech has been toned down if you read his latest book on Kwanzaa, but if one views his founder’s message of 2006 on his website (in pdf. form), one will find that his message is still racially inclusive to blacks. His intention is for black people to celebrate this holiday for them only. Karenga feels this is necessary because the principles in Kwanzaa he says,

“ . . . represent values and vital teachings of our ancestors about how we are to live good lives, rightfully relate to each other and the world, and teach our children by word and deed what it means to be an African man and woman in the world.”

Kwanzaa is more than just a cultural celebration. Many are using it for “spiritual” wisdom while refusing to call it a religion. As a Christian, I don’t need Kwanzaa because to know how to live good lives is taught to me in what is called the Bible. The principles I need for living are all found in that book. My ancestors don’t provide me the spiritual principles necessary, although there is much wisdom to be gained by them, but to live right, my family has pointed to God and His principles found in the bible.

There is a myth within the black community that knowing one’s heritage is necessary for their self-worth. That myth alone is what pushes events like Kwanzaa and Black History month, or Black history period. Self-worth does not come through our heritage, but through knowing who we are in God. Culture is turned into a religion by afrocentrics insist that one is not “black” if they don’t prescribe to their “religion.”

Well, on to the breakdown of the Nguzo Saba. Kujichagulia is next, which is Self-Determination in Swahili, principle number two of Kwanzaa.