12/28/2006

About Me

Taking a little break on this heavy, heavy writing about Kwanzaa. I have to remember sometimes not to be SO serious, always. And all the time I’ve spent talking about Kwanzaa, I haven’t let the readers know anything about me. Every now and then I'll take breaks such as this one and share a little more about myself each time.

So a little bit for today.

I’ve been divorced since 1993, mother of five children. I’m a fifty-somthing right now with my eldest being 27 and my youngest 16. Three boys and two girls.

I had to take a break from my writing on this blog to do my “mommy thang” as I shared with one of the posters. My 16 year old starts on his varsity basketball team and I went to watch him play. I enjoy watching my children in their activities – but especially basketball. I played basketball as a young woman at Los Angeles Trade and Technical school. I won’t say when but let’s just say – it was a long time ago! I ended up quitting school when I found I was pregnant with the first of a string of babies by my then husband.

I was ecstatic because motherhood was far more important to me than anything else in the world! Ironically, I lost that baby through a miscarriage. I was too devastated to return to school and stayed out and went to work at my first "real" job – customer service at the Los Angeles Times.

I had a troubled marriage from the very beginning. I was young and dumb and married my husband because he was “fine.” Sometimes we young ladies can’t get beyond the looks and nice bodies to really see the substance of a fella’. We both had major faults and although I tried, the marriage failed for reasons too intimate to discuss in this public forum.

But life goes on. Here it is today, December 27, 2006 and I’m reflecting on my kids after seeing my son’s team win their game, and with him scoring a bunch of points. I’ll read about him in tomorrow’s newspaper and websites.

About my pride and joys:
My 27 year old is a student at a bible college. I’m proud of his 3.5 GPA he’s carrying in school.
My 25 year old is a professional basketball player in Europe. He’s a huge young man, 6’9” and he say’s he’s almost 250 now.
My 22 year old daughter just returned from Paris, France on a partial scholarship to study abroad. She’s completing her senior year at a famous HBCU and I’m very proud of her. Especially her ability to speak French!
My 19 year old daughter is a hip hop dancer (NOT the video-vixen kind) and is with a famous dance agency. I love to watch her dance! She’s on a team here in San Diego and I have to say so myself, she’s a great dancer!
And my 16 year old son is the baby, bringing up he rear. A single mom and a 16 year old son – well, you can imagine our struggles! But he’s a good boy and so far he’s staying out of trouble!!!

To keep from embarrassing them, I leave my children’s names out until they give me consent to write about them publicly. This will probably already be embarrassing enough to them.

Oh well!

Guess I’ll get back to Kwanzaa now!