5/22/2008

Homosexuality and Being Black - Not the Same Thing!

Recently, a college official was fired because of her column explaining why being black was different than being gay. Crystal Dixon wrote in response to an article in the same publication by an author who equated gay rights with black rights and the rights of the physically disabled. She took issue with the claim that they are civil rights victims. She explained by writing that, "I cannot wake up tomorrow and not be a Black woman. I am genetically and biologically a Black woman and very pleased to be so as my Creator intended." (Gay Rights and Wrongs: Another Perspective, by Crystal Dixon.)

Living here in California, that issue is very much front and center now that gays can legally be married. Article after article I'm reading how gays are declaring to have the same rights as blacks and women. But I also take issue with the Gay/Lesbian movement and the claim that they should have the same rights as all others.

They shouldn't - plain and simple! As Crystal Dixon wrote that she cannot wake up and NOT be black, THAT is the major difference! One can CHOOSE whom they want to have sex with and they can even CHANGE that lifestyle as Ms. Dixon points out in the many organizations dedicated to Gays/Lesbians who do change and go straight.

As a Christian, I could never support laws that legislate "sin." That's why I'm very happy that court systems such as the one here in San Diego will allow their county workers to be excused from gay marriages. County Assessor-Recorder-Clerk Greg Smith says that, "I'm trying to strike a balance. I want to show dignity and respect to my staff and equally I want to show dignity and respect to the couples who want to get married,”. Now that's awesome! If gay marriages are going to be allowed, then yes, leave it where workers don't have to participate if it's against their consciousness to do so!

It is not a sin to be black. That's not changeable. TV actress and talk show host Ellen Degeneres lost a girlfriend, Ann Heche, when she decided she wanted to be with a man. Ann Heche woke up and decided one day to go from being a lesbian, to being straight (or bisexual...who knows.) What black person or female person can wake up and one day and change to being something else? Being black and/or female is whom God made us to be and not based upon anything we DO. A gay/lesbian is whom they are based upon a specific action - a sexual action at that!

I mention Ellen because she's one of those who declares that she is no different than being a black person. She says on her show today to her guest Senator McCain, "We are all the same people, all of us. You're no different than I am. Our love is the same."

The feelings of love may be the same, but the ACTS are not. For the Christian, homosexual acts are despised by God and that is made evident in both the Old and New Testaments. God's approval of the sex act is what determines the love that one can have for the other.
God made it evident that marriage between a man and a woman is what He designed for the good of what He calls "family." And as Ms. Dixon wrote, deviations from God's norm are met with serious consequences.

Of course, there are many homosexuals who don't believe in God and many who do believe in God, call themselves Christian, and still practice the homosexual lifestyle. That fact alone will never change what God has written in His word that determines the true "rights" of His created beings. His true meaning of marriage, with the creatures He calls "man" and "woman."